HPLC – High Performance / High Pressure Liquid Chromatography
HPLC is a powerful analytical technique for the separation and analysis of compounds in solution. HPLC is particularly useful for analysis of large molecules and compounds that are either not very volatile or thermally unstable. The principles of HPLC are common to other forms of chromatography where separation is based upon chemical interactions with a mobile and stationary phase. In this case the mobile phase is a solvent and the stationary phase is made up of particles to which different chemical groups may be bound to allow selective separation of the required analyte.
HPLC can be used as qualitatively and quantitatively, for measuring purity or even as part of a clean-up procedure to prepare an analyte for additional investigation. By careful selection of the mobile phase, column and detector specific analytes can be identified within a complicated mixture of other components.
Typical Applications of HPLC
HPLC is a flexible technique that may be used to analyse a large array of compounds. These include raw and intermediate chemical products, aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, amines, amino acids, peptides, proteins, sugars, lipids and large pharmacologically active compounds. This translates into a range of specific applications that include;
- Nicotine assays in E-fluids for electronic cigarettes.
- Bisphenol A migration from plastics and polymers for the food packaging and related markets.
- Identification and quantification of phthalates in plastics and polymer products.
- Analysis and quantification of malodourous organic acids in liquids.
- Support for long term stability trials and product development.
Method Development and Preparation
In addition to direct analysis of analytes LPD Lab Services has experience in developing and validating instrumental methods that may then be translated to clients laboratory for routine analysis. In addition LPD is equipped and experienced in sample preparation techniques including:
- Soxhlet extraction
- Solid phase extraction SPE and clean up.
LPD has UHPLC Ultra High Performance Liquid Chromatography capabilities allowing for the development of rapid and efficient method development and analysis.
Features of Laboratory’s HPLC and Ion Chromatography (IC) Capabilities
- Thermo Fisher Ultimate 3000 UHPLC/HPLC system with a diode array detector DAD and refractive index detector RI allowing for a large range of analytical applications. This instrument also features a multicolumn oven and thermally controlled sample compartment and auto-sampler (15degC below ambient).
This allows LPD to offer a range of techniques for your analytical requirements including;
- Isocratic and Gradient Elution methods.
- Reverse phase and Normal phase chromatography.
- Gel Permeation Chromatography GPC and Gel Filtration Chromatography GFC.
- Ultra High Performance Chromatography UHPLC.
- Hydrophilic Interaction Liquid Chromatography HILIC.
- Chiral chromatography.
Our site experts on HPLC is Wyndham Johnstone, Harry Knappett, Matt Edwards and Aeryn May.
Please contact us to discuss how your requirements can be met using this or any of our analytical techniques. We can issue no-obligation quotations once we have discussed your needs and can offer two levels of service “urgent” and “normal”. We also offer preferential rates for longer term analysis contracts.