LPD Lab Services is ideally placed to support analysis and measurement of a wide array of plastics, polymers, rubbers, composites and additives.
LPD Lab Services can offer numerous techniques that can identify many issues associated with plastics and polymers. Including: FTIR, FTIR Microscopy, SEM/EDX, XPS, SIMS, OCAT/DCAT, GC-MS, DSC, TGA and Pyrolysis GC-MS.
Using these techniques we can investigate many issues, including:
- Surface segregation of plasticisers and low molecular weight species giving weak boundary layers by XPS and FTIR
- Embrittlement of polymers and composite materials by solvent attack
- Microplastics analysis and identification.
- Check correct polymer types used for product by FTIR, Pyrolysis GC-MS, XRF, DSC and SEM fingerprint technique
- Inspection for residual release films generating poor adhesion in laminated materials.
- Investigations of strongly adhering release film layers by XPS and FTIR.
- Checks for low and high density polyethylene.
- Evaluation of Antimicrobial Coatings and Antimicrobial Polymers.
- Determination of excessive use of mould release agents in injection moulded parts.
- Determination of protective coating types by FTIR Microscopy and pyrolysis GC-MS.
- Analysis of polymers and rubbers, mobile species, plasticisers, stabilisers and low molecular weight species by GC-MS
- Measurement of degradation temperatures of polymers and rubber by DSC, TGA and estimatation of heated product lifetime.
- Environmental Stress Cracking ESC of plastics and coatings.
- Checking for residual stress in plastics from moulding and annealing processes by DSC and refractive index effects.
- Investigation of bubbling and lifting paint coatings with SEM/EDX or FTIR Microscopy.
- Check of surface treatments to promote wetting and strong adhesion.
- Verification fingerprinting of paint top coat and primer coat using filler chemistry and particle sizes and shapes by XRF and SEM / EDX.
- Leaching out of polymer or rubber additives or consumption of stabilisers over product life by solvent extraction FTIR, solvent extraction GC-MS or Pyrolysis GC-MS.
- Investigations into failure of finished polymers and rubbers with mobile species including plasticisers, stabilisers, mould release agents, degradation products and low molecular weight components.
- Measurements of crystallisation and melting temperatures of polymers using DSC.
- DSC determination of ideal manufacturing and moulding temperatures of polymers and rubbers.
If you would like more information please contact us for a friendly helpful discussion.